Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chapter 10 (RIKU): Vanitas




Chapter 10 (Riku): Vanitas

        Later that day, from a distance, Bagheera and Riku could only admire how easy going both Mowgli and Baloo were.  Their friendship seemed so genuine, that even Bagheera had given up trying to convince both Baloo to take Mowgli back.  Now, the panther decided it was time for him to leave.  "Oh, I give up.  Well, I hope their luck holds out."  With that, Bagheera bounded back into the jungle, giving one last look back to Baloo and Mowgli.  
        Riku sighed.  "I guess my work here is done" he thought aloud.  Mowgli is safe now.  Baloo may not be the most protective guardian, but I think breaking up their friendship isn't something that sits well with me.  As Baloo and Mowgli began scratching their backs on trees, Riku turned and left the duo to their fun times.  
        
        As Riku was about to leave after Bagheera, he felt a cold rush send shivers down his spine.  He looked around and grunted.  He knew that feeling more than anyone else could.  The Darkness.  Someone incredibly powerful in darkness was somewhere in this world.  Riku began sniffing for the source of the darkness.  His scent lead him to the other side of the river, close to the mighty waterfall.  Riku hurried down the path, ready to prove he was no longer one of the dark.  
        
        Several hours later, as he approached the waterfall, a thunderous roar echoed the landscape.  Riku turned to see an enormous tiger appear on the scene.  He circled around the boy, licking his lips.  "Well well.  What have we here?  A man-cub gone from the Man Village?"
        Riku summoned his Keyblade to his hand.  "You're Shere Khan!" 
        "Precisely" the tiger answered boldly.  "You don't miss a thing.  I had hoped you would be that man-cub Mowgli, but I suppose you will do in the meantime."  He began to let loose his claws.  "Are you prepared, boy?"  The tiger lunged for Riku, but was blasted away by a powerful blue flame.  The tiger, seeing the burning sticks around him, fled into the jungle.  Riku looked above to the source, and saw a masked figure appear out of thin air and land right next to him.  
        "I take it you must be Riku" the figure answered, in the voice of a teenage boy.  
        "Who are you?" Riku asked, aiming his Keyblade at the new arrival.
        "I was once called Vanitas" the figure answered coldly.  "And I once was the pure darkness that lived in one's heart.  Now, I have been restored thanks to the growing darkness in the worlds."
        "So, you work for Xehanort?" Riku answered.  
        "So clever, Riku.  Yes, Xehanort has brought me in from time to time to work for him.  But I'm targeting you for my own reasons.  You reek of Keyblade Master, and I intend to destroy you.  And when you're finished, I can have my way with Sora."  
        "We'll see about that!" Riku answered, lunging forward to square off against Vanitas.  

Boss Battle: Vanitas
HP: 850
Get Bonus: 
Riku: +5 HP
Obtained the Cure Element

        Vanitas fell backwards from Riku's final attack, but held his ground as Riku sought to destroy him.  He countered quickly, causing Riku to tumble backwards and have to regain his footing,  Vanitas simply laughed menacingly.  "Not bad, Riku, though you're no Master yet.  I could fight circles around you, man."  
        Riku ignored the taunt.  "What do you want to do with Sora?"
        "Sora?" Vanitas repeated.  "You mean the guy who's power I feed off of?"
        "What do you mean, Vanitas?"
        "After Aqua and Mickey destroyed me" Vanitas explained, "I was left to walk the rest of my days in the Realm of Darkness, alone.  I thought Xehanort had abandoned me.  Little did I know of his true plan.  I was foolish to doubt him, but now he has my eternal loyalty.  The only way I was allowed to even survive in the Realm of Darkness was by feeding off the darkness in people's hearts.  I enjoyed feasting off of your darkness, Riku.  But now, I'm finding myself truly enjoying the darkness that grows in Sora's heart."  
        Riku gasped.  "The darkness in Sora's heart?"
        Vanitas grunted.  "That's exactly what I said, idiot.  After all, there is darkness within every heart.  Certainly, those with even the brightest lights, will have the darkest shadows looming.  Eventually, Sora's anger and fear will build up and I'll be completely free to roam the world once more."  
        Riku laughed.  "That will never happen, Vanitas!  Sora is stronger than you think!  He would never give into the darkness!"  
        "Yet, here I am" Vanitas added.  "And there, in your heart, is the doubt growing ever more powerful.  Sora will become just like you soon.  And there isn't a thing you can do about it!"  With that, Vanitas vanished into the darkness, but not before uttering: "We'll meet again, Riku."  
        Riku was left alone near the waterfall, completely dumbfounded by Vanitas's warning.  Sora's giving into the darkness?  That's impossible.  He wouldn't.  He couldn't.  
        "Riku!" a voice shouted behind him.  Riku turned to face Sora hurrying towards him.  Riku had no idea what to tell or say to Sora.  Could Sora be trusted?  Riku spent several seconds studying Sora.  Nothing seemed to have changed about his friend, and he didn't bear the scent of darkness that Riku so despised.  I guess Vanitas was just blowing smoke.  
        "What is it?" Sora asked, finally noticing Riku's studying.  
        Riku shook himself out of his stupor.  "Nothing.  Did you bring Belle to the Castle?"
        Sora nodded.  "Yup.  She's with Alice and Snow White in the castle.  How have you been doing?"
        Riku looked away.  "I've been managing.  The darkness is getting stronger, Sora.  We best be prepared for what it has to offer."  
        Sora nodded.  "Alright, I'll stay and help out as I can."  Sora turned to leave, but Riku grabbed his shoulder.  "Riku?"
        Riku kept trying to get the right words in his thoughts, but he could not figure out which words were the best suited.  "Sora, have you been feeling anything, different about yourself?  Are you losing your temper?  Are you more prone to anger?"
        Sora laughed.  "Of course not.  What, do you think I'd steal your thunder?"
        Riku laughed as well.  "I guess that was a stupid question.  But I'm pretty sure the situation is under control here.  Why don;t you go and check out some other worlds?  We don't know where Xehanort or Maleficent will strike next."  
        Sora shook his head.  "I can't.  Mowgli's gone missing, and I promised I'd help Baloo and Bagheera find him.  
        Riku sighed.  "That kid can be handful, but it's not that important, Sora.  I really think you ought to go back and begin looking into other worlds.  Don't forget we have a mission to protect the Princesses of Heart and the worlds from Xehanort."  Riku walked past Sora, leaving him on the waterfall alone with his thoughts.  Riku turned back to Sora and grinned.  "One more thing.  I want you to take Kairi with you to your next world."
         Sora's face turned red.  "Kairi?  Are you sure?"
        "I need to make sure you two lovebirds can focus on the mission" Riku laughed, before darting back into the forest.  He went so deep into the forest that he couldn't hear Sora refute his taunt.  All he could do was grin.  "He won't give in.  His heart is too good for it to darken.  I have faith in you Sora."  

Obtained the Jungle Beat Keychain
STR: +3
MAG: +3
Ability:
Boosts the recovery rate of MP during battle


No comments:

Post a Comment