Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Film Review #57: Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure

Great.  Just great.  It's bad enough that Disney is making sequels to the movies made AFTER Walt died, but now their making them for movies made when he was alive?  I was not happy when I first heard that this movie existed.  Let's see how they botched one of Disney's great films.

I found this film at my local library on video.  With my low expectations,  I sat down and expected something on par with Little Mermaid 2.  I'm happy to say that my lowered expectations actually paid off for this film, because it wasn't as bad as I feared.  It's certainly nothing special, but I can't put it in the same category as Little Mermaid 2 or The Enchanted Christmas.

Plot: Sometime after the events of the first movie, Lady and Tramp are raising their puppies in Jim Dear and Darling's house.  The only boy puppy, Scamp, acts like a puppy should and rolls in the dirt, plays in the mud, and runs around trying to have fun.  Often scolded for this, Scamp reveals that he wants to be a free dog, despite his father telling him it's not a good idea.  Nevertheless, Scamp runs away and encounters a group of junkyard dogs, led by a dog named Buster, who was a protege of his father, and a girl dog named Angel.  When Buster finds out that Scamp is the Tramp's son, he goes to incredible lengths to get the vengeance out on his old friend who he believed betrayed them by running off to live with Lady, while Scamp tries to prove that he can be a wild dog like his father.

What's Bad?: The Lion King 2 and the Aladdin sequels at least had music that matched the kind of music the original films had.  This film opens up with this big Broadway style musical number that really threw me off.  Naturally, to refresh my memory, I watched the original film before the sequel.  Peggy Lee's songs, while not classics, had their own beat to them and were at least enjoyable.  These just follow the bland and forgettable musical formula that was driving Disney Fans crazy at this point.

For a movie called Lady and the Tramp 2, there was also hardly any Lady or Tramp in this movie.  Lady falls back into a sort of Nala supportive role in this film, and although the Tramp has a bigger role in the overall plot, he isn't in the movie much.

What's Good?: I really liked the characters.  Scamp is a bit annoying, but Buster and Angel are really good written characters with actual motivations.  Buster felt betrayed that Tramp had abandoned the Junkyard Dogs in the first movie and sought revenge on him anyway he could.  As for Angel, she actually wishes she could have an owner and live a life not on the run.  To have side characters with legitimate emotions and backstories, I have to give credit where it is due.

Overall: As a film, it's pretty okay.  There isn't anything in it that could ruin anyone's childhood, but I could see if you don't like it.  I was at least content that I had seen it at least once.  Nothing special, but nothing awful.  See for yourself.

Report Card

Hero:                           C
Heroine:                      B
Villain:                         B
Side Characters:         C
Songs:                          C
Musical Score:            C
Animation:                   B
Themes:                      C
Story:                          B-

Does it hold up to the Original?:         No

No comments:

Post a Comment