Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Film Review #137: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. II

My opinions on the Guardians of the Galaxy films have definitely softened over the years.  I couldn't really get into the wacky and over the top adventuring of the first film, but I could tell it definitely had a heart worth exploring.  Apparently I was a loner on that, as the original film is acclaimed and beloved by everyone who's seen it.  I did my best to avoid this second film for a while, out of fear of being too cynical about it.  Also, this film came out in a truly rough time to be me.  Our landlord of many years that we had a good relationship with suddenly decided we needed to move out, a good friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver and I had my first adult bout with depression.  So, to be frank, I wasn't in the mood for anything when this movie and the other MCU movies of 2017 came out.  I just wanted to focus on my life and revisit these movies at a later time.  The only one I ended up seeing on time was Thor: Ragnarok and my glowing opinion of that film compelled me to give the other films of 2017 a shot.  After Spider-Man Homecoming however, I became more afraid that I wouldn't like this one and avoided it like the plague until about a few months ago.  When it was on TV, I sat down and I watched it.  

If I thought the first film was just missing a strong heart to it, this film found that heart.  I mean, this was the first time I felt completely engaged with these characters outside of Infinity War, which allowed me to get into the more wacky side of the comedy and the space battles that I previously had reservations towards in the first film.  This film is just a total package of splendor and fun.  Exactly what a Comic Book Movie should be.  

Plot: While off on one of their old fashioned wacky adventures throughout space (this time to prevent Nebula from stealing extremely valuable and powerful batteries from a space monster), the Guardians are attacked by the Sovereign when it's revealed that Rocket used the opportunity to steal the batteries for himself and are forced to crash land on a mysterious planet.  Before they could be set upon by the Sovereign's Drones, a being named Ego (Kurt Russell) appears out of nowhere and reveals himself to be Peter Quill's biological father.  While Rocket and Groot remain behind to repair their ship (and ultimately get captured by Yondu on behalf of the Sovereign), Quill, Gamora and Drax all go with Ego to explore his own planet.  While there, Quill discovers that his father is not only an all powerful being called a Celestial, but he too possesses the godlike powers.  

But it's soon revealed that Ego not only doesn't care for Peter, but simply wants to use him as a means to terraform the universe into his own image.  Upon learning that his father truly meant to just use him to wipe out all life that wasn't himself in the galaxy, it becomes up to Quill and his team to overtake the power of a god and for Quill to overcome his own creation and existence to save countless star systems from Ego.  

What's Wrong?: My biggest gripe with this film is the fact that this film has to exist in the same universe as the first one.  I mean, the first film is good, but it's like directly comparing The Lion King to The Lion King 1 1/2.  This film itself is such a well written and intriguing masterpiece that the first one feels like a joke in comparison to the first.  At least from my perspective.  I know a lot of people love it and I'm much nicer towards it than I used to be, but this film just frustrates me so much that the first wasn't as good.  And now I know for a fact that I'm setting myself up for another classic bout with Return of the Jedi Syndrome when Guardians 3 comes out next year or 2023.  

What's Right?: This movie reminds me of the best episodes of Game of Thrones.  It's symbolic, but it doesn't slam that symbolism over your head like other movies do.  Ego, for example, reminds me a lot of Cersei Lannister.  Someone who claims to be all about love and family, but in reality only truly loves themselves and the extensions of self.  Ego truly does not care for Peter as his son.  If anything, he only sees him as a means to an end, not as his own being.  He seems surprised that Peter wouldn't be as keen as he was to see the world transformed into their (his) image.  It also is revealed that the reason Peter never met Ego before this was because Yondu knew what fate was in store for him if he couldn't use the celestial power, choosing to protect him over letting him die.  Yondu is proven to be more of a father to our favorite Star Lord than Ego could ever be, a surprisingly moving relationship between two former foes.  

I also finally got into some of the other characters.  I haven't exactly been the biggest fan of the likes of Rocket, Groot or Drax, but this movie does each of these characters enough justice.  I'm still not much of a Bradley Cooper fan, but he isn't as obnoxious as he could have been in this role.  He becomes much more palatable by the time we hit Infinity War.  And I have a soft spot for Dave Bautista, so I enjoy his job as Drax enough in this film, but the Guardians as a whole become much better by the time of Infinity War.  

Overeall: This movie is just a perfect balance of comedy, drama, action and heartfelt emotion.  Were it not for a few other MCU movies, this might actually be the best of the entire universe.  And to come from a place that I had almost no expectations for, I find it a welcome surprise.  Not the biggest surprise of 2017's movies, but most certainly a welcome one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment