Monday, August 11, 2014

You Ain't Never Had Friends Like Us...

Today, August 11th, 2014, the entire world has lost a true gem to the name of not only comedy, but of cinema entirely.  Naturally, no death is not sad, but the world today is mourning the loss of a man who I consider to be one of the best actors and comedians who ever lived.  Robin Williams is probably one of the most beloved comedians of all time, right up there with George Carlin, Rodney Dangerfield, and Richard Pryor.  Be it his incredibly quick and slick satire of anything from golf to parenting, or his truly sincere approach to acting he gave as many roles as possible, Robin was truly a man of many different ties.  He was a beloved father, actor, comedian, and friend.  

Naturally, no suicide is anything to joke about, but I really do wish that I had been able to meet Robin in person.  Would I have made a difference?  I hope so, but probably not.  But you cannot blame me for feeling this way.  After all, Aladdin was THE first movie I ever saw, and the Genie was like one of the best friends I could ever ask for growing up.  And to have one man leave so much of an impact on me is sheer brilliance.  I have seen as many Robin Williams movies as possible (from the highs like Dead Poets Society and Good Morning, Vietnam, to the lows like Patch Adams and License to Wed), but you'd be damned to find a movie with this man that either didn't humor me or touch me for even one second of film or one stretch of comedy.  

No matter his role, Williams put his heart and soul into each character he touched, be it a poetic and whimsical English teacher, an adult who got in touch with his inner child, or a genie with a desire to become free.

Robin, everyone in the entire world is going to miss you.  In fact, I'm going to spend the next few weeks doing little but listening to Robin's comedy albums I own and watching his movies.  I just hope you could realize that be you alive or dead, a comedy genius or a sincere actor, you have left a good impression on many and all you have ever come across.  And that is a life fulfilled.  I thank you for sharing your flair and wonder with me, Robin, and I hope that if there is a world beyond this one, that I get to hang out with you once in a while.  



Robin McLaurin Williams

July 21st, 1951 - August 11, 2014

Rest In Peace

1 comment:

  1. God, I miss him too though he is not favourite actor. He is too endearing and out of control to be liked. There aren't any comedians that won't surpass his legacy.

    ReplyDelete