Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Film Review #44: Bolt

Me and my friends were going to the movies.  We originally intended to see the new James Bond movie (ya know, after we laughed at the thought of going to see Twilight), but it was sold out at the theater.  Eager to watch something, we decided to get tickets to see Bolt, the new Disney film.  I had absolutely no expectations for this film, following four disastrous films.  I went in, I ate my popcorn and we began watching what I expected was going to be a terrifying disaster.  But...well...despite hated Miley Cyrus being in it, this film did not suck.  In fact, I would call this the Oliver and Company of the new era.

Plot: Bolt is a star of a TV show where he and his owner Penny fight off an evil villain.  But Bolt (a la Buzz Lightyear), believes himself to be a super-powered dog.  When the show is being relocated, Bolt escapes and believes that Penny has been abducted by a villain.  He captures a cat named Mittens and makes her take him to Penny, all while thinking himself to be immortal and impervious to damage.  While Mittens tries to keep her new canine comrade from killing himself, Bolt and the fanboy hamster Rhino travel cross country to "save Penny" from the evil villain.

What's Bad?: Miley Cyrus sounds WAY too old to be a little girl.  She sounds like an actress trying to be young.  The film also lacked a villain, which could have been a more circumstantial situation if played better.

What's Good?: Like a few misguided critics said about The Rescuers, Bolt is a breath of fresh air and a welcomed return to a more wholesome storytelling perspective.  What I liked most is the fact that the film was hardly marketed by Disney, despite grossing a decent amount of money.  Bolt as a character is another Buzz Lightyear, but is still comedic and the fanboy hamster reminds me of a few of my own friends.

Overall: For a film that had virtually no expectations for it, the film was a fairly decent return to form for Disney that perhaps could signal a sign for things to come.  Could there possibly be a second Renaissance lying just around the riverbend?  Perhaps, a whole new world of imagination?  I wish i could be part of that world.  I'm sorry, I'm really sick of watching Disney movies again.  Thank God it's almost over.  I've been sitting here for almost an Arabian night.  Okay, I'm done.

Report Card:

Hero:                            83
Heroine:                       81
Villain:                         N/A
Side Characters:          86
Songs:                          N/A
Musical Score:             85
Animation:                    89
Special Effects:            93
Themes:                       88
Story:                            84

Report Card:                86





No comments:

Post a Comment